Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Without Further Ado...Let's Get Started!

Hello Fellow Aviation Enthusiasts!
My name is Ryan Todd and I have had a passion for aviation my entire life.  I was born and raised in Van Wert, Ohio and am a 2011 graduate of Van Wert High School. When asked as a child what I wanted to do when I grew up, the answer was always to become a pilot.  Being fortunate enough to know what I wanted to do, I began taking flight lessons at my local airport (VNW) at the age of 16.  After some good advice from my flight instructor and a lot of convincing of my parents, I entered into aircraft ownership at the age of 17 by purchasing a 1964 Cessna 150.  During high school, I ran my own aircraft detailing business and also served as a manager at Taco Bell to help offset the cost of aircraft ownership. I completed my first solo flight in February of 2010 and passed my private pilot check ride in July of that year.
Currently, I am in my final semester at Eastern Michigan University where I study aviation flight technology. During my time at Eastern Michigan, I have completed two once-in-a-lifetime internships. In the summer of 2012, I was a part of the JetBlue Airways College Crew internship program. I spent the summer living in New York City and working in the Safety Department.  More specifically, I helped manage safety data and assisted in the redesign of numerous crewmember safety reporting forms.  During the summer of 2013, I was a part of Cessna Aircraft Company’s Discover Flying Challenge. I was one of six pilot interns tasked with flying Cessna Skyhawks across the United States in order to generate heightened interest in pilot training.  Additionally, we were responsible for sharing our journeys via social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Both of these internships have opened my eyes to the world of opportunities that exist within the aviation industry.
Today, I hold my commercial multi-engine and single-engine ratings and just recently received my airplane single-engine flight instructor certificate.  After graduation, I plan to flight instruct for the Eastern Michigan University Aviation Program until accumulating the required hours necessary to fulfill my childhood dream of flying jets professionally.
As a result of my career aspirations and experiences, I am very interested in numerous aspects of the aviation industry; particularly collegiate aviation, regional airlines, the effects of regulatory changes, and general aviation.  Through this blog, I hope to explore a number of industry topics while creating a forum in which all aviation enthusiasts can discuss their viewpoints and share knowledge on each of these issues.  I look forward to lively discussions and to exploring many pertinent topics in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan, it's fun to see an articulate writing style in academic blogs. If you enjoy writing, I encourage you to continue beyond the term and beyond Blogspot in your spare time. It's a great way to engage the global aviation community. Are you working on CFII now?

    ReplyDelete